Style | StandardCards

OpenStreetMap Blogs

Sunday, 21. January 2018

OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

ЕженедельникОСМ 391

ЕженедельникОСМ 391 (09.01.2018-15.01.2018)

ЕженедельникОСМ 391 (09.01.2018-15.01.2018)


OpenRailwayMap (English)

Enabling HTTPS

OpenRailwayMap is now supporting HTTPS.

Now it is possible to access our website, tiles, API and mailing list using HTTPS.

Users who already embed our tiles or request our API in their HTTPS website will not get mixed content errors any more. And for users who have been prevented from using OpenRailwayMap content in their HTTPS-delivered website, there's no reason not to do so.


OpenRailwayMap (German)

Unterstützung für HTTPS

Die OpenRailwayMap ist jetzt auch über HTTPS erreichbar.

Seit heute ist es möglich, Webseite, Tiles, API und Mailingliste über HTTPS zu erreichen.

User, die in einer per HTTPS ausgelieferten Webseite bereits Tiles einbinden oder API-Anfragen stellen, bekommen nun keine Mixed-Content-Fehler mehr. Und für User, die von diesem Fehler bislang davon abgehalten wurden, Inhalte der OpenRailwayMap in ihre Webseite einzubinden, gibt es nun keinen Grund mehr, dies nicht zu tun.


OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

Über den Umgang mit schwierigen Usern oder was sind Vandalen?

Der Anwender mit dem, Stand heute, 21.01.2018., netten Pseudonym "euch kann man nicht helfen" ist zweifellos ein etwas schwieriger Typ, und sein Humor bei Kommentaren zu Changesets und mehr noch OSM-Notes ist sehr speziell.

Und daher hat ihn also "Woodpeck" (also nicht irgendwer, sondern Frederick Ramm) gesperrt und gleich auch noch Dutzende an Änderungen mit rückgäng

Der Anwender mit dem, Stand heute, 21.01.2018., netten Pseudonym "euch kann man nicht helfen" ist zweifellos ein etwas schwieriger Typ, und sein Humor bei Kommentaren zu Changesets und mehr noch OSM-Notes ist sehr speziell.

Und daher hat ihn also "Woodpeck" (also nicht irgendwer, sondern Frederick Ramm) gesperrt und gleich auch noch Dutzende an Änderungen mit rückgängig gemacht.

Da wurde Feuer mit Feuer bekämpft, nämlich "Vandalismus" in Notes, die eh keiner liest, bzw. kaum einer bearbeitet, mit Vandalismus auf der Karte:

Die neu in Betrieb gegangene Anbindung der Unterstadt von Neustadt im Schwarzwald an die B31, Neustadt Mitte, wurde wieder auf construction gesetzt (nur teilweise, da ich meinerseits die Gegend mit Navi abgefahren bin, einige Tracks hochgeladen habe und den Straßenverlauf anhand des Tracks korrigierte: meine Änderungen blieben also erhalten. Aber wo ich nicht die Finger drin hatte, wurde die neue Straße wieder auf construction revertiert.

Das Rathaus im Stühlinger in Freiburg, ein städtisches Vorzeigeprojekt - ich nenne es spöttisch "Neuen Tempel des Salomon", wurde ziemlich zackig durch die Reversion, einige Fußwege drumrum verschwanden ganz.

Sauber. Ist halt blöderweise kein Industriebau in der Pampa, sondern an einer Stelle, wo OSM gerne mit einem Marktbegleiter verglichen werden dürfte.

Dazu kamen ein paar Reverts bei den Straßenbahngleisen, wo eine umgestellte Linie dadurch wieder in OSM war (2 statt 4 an der Gundelfinger Straße). So nebenbei habe ich beim Re-Revert den Schlüssel von von name auf ref geändert.


Möjligt att parkera när man ska till Fågelsångsdalen

Möjligt att parkera när man ska till Fågelsångsdalen

Möjligt att parkera när man ska till Fågelsångsdalen


Сегодня 21 января! Встреча осмеров в Москве.

Помните, каждый январь мы собирались в ёлкопалках? Спорили шумной компанией про всякую картографию, знакомились, ели? Думаю, пора возобновить традицию.

Сегодня!!! В воскресенье, 21 января готовьтесь встретиться снова! Покупайте билеты, расчищайте планы. Время — с 15:00 до ~20, место — Бар «Крафтер» у выхода №4 из метро «Тверская». www.openstreetmap.org/node/3744149102#map=19/55.76531/37

Помните, каждый январь мы собирались в ёлкопалках? Спорили шумной компанией про всякую картографию, знакомились, ели? Думаю, пора возобновить традицию.

Сегодня!!! В воскресенье, 21 января готовьтесь встретиться снова! Покупайте билеты, расчищайте планы. Время — с 15:00 до ~20, место — Бар «Крафтер» у выхода №4 из метро «Тверская». https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3744149102#map=19/55.76531/37.60316

Мы будем очень рады видеть новичков, а опытные картографы уже знают, что нет ничего лучше, чем оторваться от JOSM на пару часиков и поговорить с другими участниками OpenStreetMap.

Цены в баре нормальные: еда около 300 рублей, пиво около 200. Можно прийти со своими бигмаком и молочным коктейлем.

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=60991


Hello world

this is OSM warrior

this is OSM warrior

Saturday, 20. January 2018

OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

From A Passionate Research About Crowdsourced Mapping to the Emergence of Humanitarian YouthMappers Teams in Nigeria

Its so exciting to see the progress of my research about VGI and Crowdsourced mapping becoming a passion-driven campaign for humanitarian mappers among the University Youths in Nigeria. When,It become obvious last year,2017,that I am going to rely on the openstreetmap platform for my crowdsourced mapping research ,the next issue was ,how to raise the crowd and engage them to mapping.My researc

Its so exciting to see the progress of my research about VGI and Crowdsourced mapping becoming a passion-driven campaign for humanitarian mappers among the University Youths in Nigeria. When,It become obvious last year,2017,that I am going to rely on the openstreetmap platform for my crowdsourced mapping research ,the next issue was ,how to raise the crowd and engage them to mapping.My research linked me up to the OSM community in Africa ,where, I met a good friend Geoffery Kateregga ,who was organizing the State of The Map African Conference in Uganda last year,2017. I was introduced to OSM Africa working group and though I was unable to secure travel fund to Uganda for SOTM-Africa,i got on with the community meeting and online discussion with the help of Mr.Geoffery Kateregga.I also got in contact with Nathelia of Mali and Madam Janet Chapman of Crowd2Map Tanzania,all on whatsapp chat,communicating and receiving motivations for work. I was able to create .mentor and coordinate to full establishment ,the UniqueMappersTeam-University of Port Harcourt,Nigeria,as a YouthMappers Chapter between June and December,2017 Our first Mapathon in July had an attendance of more than 100 students and staff ,signing up for OSM account to join us as a humanitarian mapper.

By 9th,August,I was able to create a new YouthMappers Chapter at the University of Nigeria,Nsuka(UNN),which I named LionMappersTeam(LMT)Nsukka.This effort was assisted by my friend and a Lecturer at Geography UNN.Surveyor Romanus Ayadiuno and Peter Pada.a 3rd year student of Geography dept.who was serving his interns in my department and under my training and supervision created a chat group and we used that to mobilize and train the team leaders as well as members while on holiday.Surveyor Romanus Ayadiuno became the Faculty advisor while Peter Pada,became the Team Leader Projects.Elvis Onotode worked as the Pioneer Director and Research, and Nmasinachi Dim worked as the Director,LetGirlsMap and Team General Secretary.

By 20th September,I proceeded to create another chapter at the Federal School of Surveying,Oyo,Oyo State,Nigeria,which I named OyoMappersTeam(OMT),Oyo.This was also facilitated remotely online,with the help of Mrs Mary Marcllinus Lhwu,who worked as the Team Coordinator along with Team leaders.

By 26th October,I also moved over to create a new chapter at the University of Nigeria,Enugu Campus,Nigeria,where ,I currently ,study as a PhD student.We called the this chapter'LionMappersTeam(LMT)Enugu Campus,to go along with University of Nigeria,Nsukka,the main campus.We started with about 46 members online where we had training and discussion on OSM.Our Faculty adviser, Professor Chukwunonyelum Okpala-Okaka was also excited about the new way of mapping though openstreetmap.As a Phd Student,I took the Pioneer Team Leadership and Mentoring of LionMappersTeam-Enugu Campus.

UniqueMappersTeam-Port Harcourt had an active participation in OSMGeoweek,November,2017.During this event we had a week-long activities ranging with maps.me campaign,Mappers Wantedl,leadership training and mapathon.Rebbeca Firth came on board,to my notice,working from OSM community working group as one of the OSMGeoweek reps.It was a huge success and was widely celebrated,moreso as we got our parcel of Certificate of affilation to YouthMappers same week.

Between 4th and 15th December,2017,I had to sponsor myself to travel to these new chapters for an inaugural training,dealing with how to map on OSM.I spent one week for LionMappersTeam-Enugu Campus,and the following week ,I was at LionMappersTeam_Nsukka. Both chapters were excited and led to multiple increase in membership.We had time to mentor,train and coordinate these two chapters directly and individually. I had to time and sufficient personal fund to travel to proceed to Oyo for oyomappersTeam and so I had to travel back to Port Harcourt,where ,I quickly,seized the opportunity to create another chapter at the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education,Port Harcourt.And so ,I had a new team ''IgnatiusMappersTeam(IMT)Port harcourt added to the YouthMappers OSM community Nigeria.

The year 2017 also gave me opportunity to set up a platform for OSMNigeria Community ,with advise of Geoffery Kateregga of OSM-Africa/HOT and the support of Dennis Omisore of FUTA Youthmappers.And so on 20th september2017,I created a chat group for the mobilization of OSMNigeria.

To start the year's activities for UniqueMapperTeam-we had a seminar presentaion by team members on the theme:Solving Practical Problems using GIS and Remote Sensing. on 20th,January,2018.Venue was ,the faculty of Social Science hall,University of Port Harcourt.It was a time for members to share their knowledge and experience I look forward ,to creating more youthmappers chapters in Nigeria,while mentoring them to ensure an effective and efficient OSM community in Nigeria for response to resilent communities in Nigeria.


The Little Beginning of a UNIQUEMAPPERSTEAM Born in a Citadel of Learning On the Green Lowlands and Swampy Plains of The New Calabar River, Nigeria

Introduction The University of Port Harcourt, geographically situated on the green low lands and swampy plains of the New Calabar Rivers, is a citadel of learning and excellence that is UNIQUE in all ramifications. This is the transcending entrepreneur university where the UniqueMappersTeam (UMT) Port Harcourt emerged into a global presence of YouthMappers, showcasing their unique and enthusiast

Introduction The University of Port Harcourt, geographically situated on the green low lands and swampy plains of the New Calabar Rivers, is a citadel of learning and excellence that is UNIQUE in all ramifications. This is the transcending entrepreneur university where the UniqueMappersTeam (UMT) Port Harcourt emerged into a global presence of YouthMappers, showcasing their unique and enthusiastic action about crowdsourced Mapping and Citizen Science. Precisely, the vision became realistic and then came the birth of UniqueMappersTeam on 12th June, 2017, right in the Cartography and GIS Laboratory office of our Team Coordinator and Mentor, Mr. Victor N.Sunday, who also is the founder of this Unique Team of Mappers and other emerging MappersTeam in Nigeria affiliated to YouthMappers Network. The UniqueMappersTeam-University of Port Harcourt Chapter is a team of map enthusiasts comprising of over 60 registered current UNIPORT students from a wide variety of disciplines, with a majority from the Department of Geography and Environmental Management, all united for the common goal of collaborative online crowdsourced mapping of our local environment, campus community and resilient communities in Nigeria and beyond. The team is known for training and equipping of members with a frontline practical mapping and geospatial skills that enables them compete favorably in mapping activities at local and global levels with other chapters and organization. It is a forum for professional mentoring and training of team members for various applications of mapping skills and knowledge. The team seeks to promote and showcase UNIPORT in a global presence of affiliate chapters of YouthMappers existing in other campuses globally. It is therefore an affiliate chapter of YouthMappers (www.youthmappers.org) using the online platform of OpenStreetMap (OSM) and Humanitarian Openstreetmap (HOT) for educational, professional and humanitarian services. The team serves as a launching pad for a sustainable mapping of the University of Port Harcourt campus environment and beyond on the global web Atlas of the OpenStreetMap (www.openstreetmap.org ). The team’s activities includes high quality programs that range from:  ICT-based online mapping of local environment and remote places globally,  Crowdsourced mapping/Volunteered Geographic Information activities  Participatory Citizen Science  Participatory GIS Mapping  Training workshop/seminar and Practical field mapping activities,  Secondary school outreaches to create online mapping awareness,  Participation in international online mapping/citizen science activities and competition  And humanitarian/community mapping services to resilient communities. These programs range from one-day event to nine (9) month programs.

UniqueMappersTeam ICT-Based Online Mapping (1st Mapathon-July, 2017) at ICT-Center, University of Port Harcourt, Choba, Nigeria The Pioneer Team Leadership of UniqueMappersTeam (UMT) Port Harcourt The team emerged as a result of the handwork, enthusiasm and team spirit of the pioneer team leaders and students, who also served as officials of the team-2017: 1. Nzewi, Chukwudubem Team Leader(President) 2. Ewa,Azibodiniyar Emmanuel The Director, Project Tasks(V.President-1) 3. Baridapsi ,Nyiaghan The Director,LetGilrsMap(Vice President-2) 4. Oshoma, Blessing Team Secretary-General(TSG) 5. Ononiwu, Faith Ifeoma The Director, Finance(DF) 6. Egbe,Triumphant The Team Treasurer(TT) 7. Iheagwam,Onyinyechi J The Director, Welfare /Human Resources 8. Owujie,Saviour The Director, Technical& Media(DTM) 9. Israel, Johnson Chinwengozi The Director, Research and Development 10. Ademu,Ojodomo Edward The Director, Security & Safety Services(DSS) The team’s activities is facilitated by a Staff Team Coordinator, who also is the Team Mentor and supported by faculty staff advisors, who supervises the activity of the group. UniqueMappersTeam Pioneer Team Leaders UniqueMappersTeam 2017 in Retrospect The team’s year began with a week-long leadership training held for its pioneering members and leaders at the team coordinator’s office, at the cartography/GIS laboratory in the Donald U. Ekong library complex. About 9 people were in attendance. The team coordinator explained the basics of mapping on OpenStreetMap and showed us how to map on the platform. It was quite intriguing to know that it could be so easy to map. Because most of us were geographers, we appreciated the relief from the tedious requirements and processes of the mapping we were used to. After the training, the team executives were asked to write a training manual about mapping on OSM. This was used to assess their preparedness to teach others.

This is where it all started with these pioneer leaders being trained by the Team Coordinator(Victor Sunday) in his Office,at the Cartography/GIS Lab,Donald Ekong Library, UNIPORT Few weeks afterwards, we had a training to create awareness about OpenStreetMap and also a Mapathon to follow at the Information and Communication Technology Centre of the University (ICTC). A task was created specifically for the Mapathon; the project task 400, which required participant to map the university campuses. We stated the campaign from our department of Geography and Environmental Management. Many students, both post graduates and undergraduates, were excited as well as inquisitive as to how it would be carried out. Students registered for the training and even more showed for it. Though there was the initial challenge of network, a lot of participant were trained on how to map with OpenStreetMap. The post graduate students were more excited about it, as they knew the real value of the training they had undergone. There was a large turnout especially on the last day of the training. At least a 100 student participated. Our faculty officer and adviser, Professor J. E. Umueduji also participated in the mapathon.

UniqueMappersTeam during the OSMGeoweek 2017 Remote Mapping and International Competitions In the month of July, the team participated in a series of mapathons in collaboration with YouthMappers chapters in other countries. Amongst these were Ghana mapathon, Tanzania FGM mapping and also mapping for areas affected by mudslides in Sierra Leone. Participants were required to map from their different locations at their convenience. Towards the end of July, the team participated In the Stall catcher’s Catchathon alongside 24 other teams In 18 countries, in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease. The event held at Emmatex Ventures just opposite the ICTC. It was so much fun despite the poor weather we had over here. We emerged 1st in Africa and 18th worldwide. We were ecstatic! We had pizza and drinks to celebrate our efforts and win.

UniqueMappersTeam fun time with a global Catchaton Contest to fight against Alzheimer’s disease, mapping the Brain as a participatory Citizen Science Team in Africa. We made a lot of preparations towards getting our certificate and approval from the university authority. The team executives held meetings regularly to write reports and draft letters that were to be sent to offices and also for approval to use the Information and Communication Technology Centre whenever we needed. It was a great joy when we finally received the certificate and sometime, later we also received approval from the University as a registered student association.

Arrival of our Certificate and YouthMappers Banner Displayed by Mercy Nnaji and GodsLove Ishola A weeklong OSMGeoweek Mapathon and Catchaton Plus-2017 November came with preparations for the OpenStreetMap Geography awareness week. It looked very unrealistic that we would be able to actively participate as the University would be going for holidays at about that time. We made preparations still, hopeful that there would be a good number of participants. We designed banners and also got our branded T-shirts at about the same time. The main features of the week included awareness campaigns, mapathons and a Catchathon. Unfortunately, turnout was low, but we had a great celebration of Geography.

Team Members on internship at NARSDA, Abuja-FCT, Nigeria also remotely mapped and supported us during the OSMGeoweek

A unique Action for Mapping also goes with a unique action time for relaxation and refreshment!!! Earlier this month, the team by invitation, made a play presentation at the Environmental Management Association of Nigeria annual conference held in Rivers state. Our play was about practicing environmentally friendly characters to ensure sustainable development. Our audience consisted of owners of companies, environmental enthusiasts and students alike.

Raising the banner of YouthMappers during the OSMGeoweek 2017 Begetting the Likes and Mentoring MappersTeam in Other Campuses During the year the team was able to establish the following YouthMappers chapters: LionMappersTeam-Nsukka at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria LionMappersTeam-Enugu Campus at the University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus OyoMappersTeam-Oyo at the Federal School of Surveys, Oyo, Nigeria IgnatiusMappersTeam-Port Harcourt at the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumen, Nigeria

IgnatiusMappersTeam-Ignatius Ajuru University of Education Port Harcourt(application submitted 15th Dec.2017)

These chapters were created and managed remotely from University of Port Harcourt, between the months of September and November, 2017, simply by initial creation of WhatsApp chat group, adding some contact persons who then adds other students. Online meetings were held to take decisions on the ideal name of the team, volunteered team leaders were given assignments that helped them learn more of the openstreetmap applications, uses of relevant openstreetmap tools, mobile tools for mapping as well as online media tools such as webinar. However, it was until Mr.Victor .N Sunday (the mentor) visited these chapters for training that active participation commenced as team members got a clear picture of YouthMappers mandate and the team’s expectations. Except, the OyoMappersTeam-Oyo which require much travelling fund and a distance of about

High School Outreach to Secondary Schools in Port Harcourt, Nigeria The team also embarked on its high school outreach programme. Team members volunteered to adopt high schools in Port Harcourt as mentoring/ training coordinators each of the schools. These members serve as the intermediary between the team and the schools. We sent letters across to four schools including Jephthah Comprehensive College, Graceland Secondary School, Aladumo schools, and our own University Demonstration Secondary School. We had positive feedbacks from two of the schools and also had preparations to organize trainings and establish YouthMappers school clubs when they are back in session by January 2018. The following are the team coordinators/mentors to the adopted Secondary (High) Schools in Port Harcourt. With the responsibility of grooming young mappers using Openstreetmap and to create Geography awareness in their respective high Schools:

A Unique and Greater Year Ahead!!!! It has been a great year for the team. Our team leaders have shown exemplary skills under the indispensable supervision of our Team Coordinator and Mentor. The team has brought together students from different discipline and levels and unified us all under the roof of YouthMappers Network for the sheer love of mapping and sharing geospatial information. Appreciations and Acknowledgements for 2017 Supports to UniqueMappersTeam-Port Harcourt  The University Management, University of Port Harcourt,especially,the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academics for approvals to use University facilities  Our faculty Advisors, Professor J.E.Umeuduji  Head of Department, Geography & Environmental Management  Directors:ICTC and CITE-University of Port Harcourt  Our Senior Friends and Mentors in ‘’Let’s Map our World’’ and LetGirlsMap chat groups  Rev.Dr.Wokoma.W.D.C. for your encouraging presence and active participation  Dr. Clinton Ezekwe  Geoffery Kettegary (Uganda) and Nathelia Sidibe(Uganda)  Madam Janet Chapman –Crowd2map(Tanzania)  Johannes Pete(Tazania)for sharing hisYouthmappers experience in the chat group  Pete Masters and Rebbecca Firth of HOT management for accepting to join our chat group getting us more excited  Egle(UK) for introducing us to Catchaton contest of 18 countries mapping the brain to fight against Alzheimer’s disease  All our new YouthMappers Chapter created by the mentorship of UniqueMappersTeam-Port Harcourt  The Director,YouthMappers and her steering committee  The Members and Team leaders of UniqueMappersTeam


Mappa Mercia

The streets they are changing

The streets they are a changing   The view along our streets is about to change thanks to the mobile phone and OSM mappers are presented with a vast new challenge. BT are scrapping half of the 40,000 phoneboxes on … Continued

The streets they are a changing

 

The view along our streets is about to change thanks to the mobile phone and OSM mappers are presented with a vast new challenge.

BT are scrapping half of the 40,000 phoneboxes on our streets over the next five years, citing  a drastic drop in useage.  One third of phoneboxes never have anyone make a call from them, and BT measure call volume from all kiosks at a mere 33,000 a day. Phonebox numbers reached their peak in 1992, when there were 92,000 of them.

Reducing the estate  will save BT £6m a year in maintenance, mostly repairing vandalism and removing graffiti. More than half of phoneboxes lose money and the number of calls is declining by more than 20% per year. However, phoneboxes are still used by people who can’t afford mobile phones, and in emergencies when mobile phone batteries are dead or there is poor mobile phone coverage ( in many rural and mountainous areas)

7,000 of the  phoneboxes are the  world-famous red phone boxes designed in the 1930s by architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, who also designed  Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, Battersea Power Station, and Bankside Power Station (now the Tate Modern).

Many of the red phoneboxes which have already been decommissioned have been re-purposed  as mini-libraries and art galleries or to house defibrillation machines, information centres, shops or exhibitions.  About 2,400 are preserved by Historic England as Grade II listed buildings.

The rules of the government regulator Ofcom govern  how BT may remove phoneboxes, and addionally there may be planning regulations from local authorities to satisfy. If there are two kiosks within 400m walking distance of a site, BT is allowed to remove one, as long as there is one left. But if BT seeks to remove the only phone booth on a site, it must inform the public and consult with the local authority which has 90 days to object, which is known as a local veto.

According to taginfo data there are 18,000 phoneboxes (amenity=telephone) in the UK, so we’ve managed to map about 50% of them, taking 14 years to do so. So our data is set to degrade over 5 years as the estate shrinks and we need to keep up to date with which ones are being removed (and also of course to map those that are missing!)

To add to the scale of the challenge  1,000 phoneboxes will be replaced in major UK cities by  new structures called Inlinks from InLinkUK. Each InLink provides ultrafast, free public Wi-Fi, phone calls, device charging and a tablet for access to city services, maps and directions.

The services are free because they’re financed by large digital screen advertising on the structures.

As well as the challenge of locating and mapping these structures is the tagging challenge. Which or all of these?

amenity=telephone

wifi=free

internet_access=wlan

advertising=screen

amenity= device_charging_station

tourism=information

Inlinks have been rolled out already in London and Leeds, and are scheduled for Birmingham in 2018. If you want to find the locations they’ve been provided here by InLink. Because they’re provided using Google Maps the data is useless for OSM except for using as a guide to go out and map them. So I asked BT, via  Business Development, if they could provide me data that would be suitable for adding to OSM. Here’s the  astonishing answer:

” Have heard back from the InLink (and payphone) team and they have a policy position – which is they don’t share locations of either Payphones or InLinks with mapping organisations as it would then make it easy for vandals and criminals  to determine the location of our estate and conduct attacks against it.”

Quite frankly this is a ludicrous position worthy of the fifteenth century when maps were regarded as military secrets.

Firstly, it’s discriminatory. Do they know they’ve already published an online map of Inlinks? Do they know that for several decades Ordnance Survey have published paper maps showing the location of phoneboxes in mountainous areas for emergency purposes?  Do they know that many local authorities publish online map service using Ordnance Survey data that locates every phonebox with the acronym TCB (for Telephone Coin Box)? Quite where this stands under competition laws is an interesting point, but way beyond our pockets to explore.

Secondly, it’s hardly a great method for letting potential customers know where to access the services.

Thirdly, what’s the profile of your average vandal? Someone who  is a node on the globalised corporate network and uses online resources and data  tools to ensure they optimise available resources for their campaign of  vandalism?  Why waste time wandering about looking for targets and forfeiting valuable vandalising time? Why waste valuable time going out to vandalise something that’s already been done by a rival crew? Or is it some antisocial human node with who-knows-what chemicals coursing through their brain, opportunistically trashing their local community because they’ve got neither the desire or means to travel.

I suggest BT planners look beyond the sphere of their corporate bubble with its group-think managementspeak and bring some appreciation of the real world (aka commonsense) to bear.

BT are now promoted to mappa-mercia’s Hall of Shame, along with West Midlands Fire Service and Severn Trent Water for refusing to provide data on the spurious grounds of protecting publicly visible infrastructure  against attack.

 

 

 


OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

Legacy Road Colours for OpenStreetMap Carto

Today I created a draft tutorial on how to modify the standard OpenStreetMap Carto stylesheet to use road colours that commonly appear on maps in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. This simple tutorial is available with two shield styles, as shown below:

It looks like the tutorial will only require five simple steps: therefore, there is no need to create

Today I created a draft tutorial on how to modify the standard OpenStreetMap Carto stylesheet to use road colours that commonly appear on maps in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. This simple tutorial is available with two shield styles, as shown below:

Simple colour change

Colour change with British shields

It looks like the tutorial will only require five simple steps: therefore, there is no need to create a separate GitHub fork.

The new colours are not direct copies from the pre-2015 versions of the Standard tile layer, because the old road colours would have appeared too dark and too dull.


weeklyOSM

weeklyOSM 391

09/01/2018-15/01/2018 An updated version of the OpenStreetBrowser is now online again 1 | © OpenStreetMap Contributors CC-BY-SA 2.0 Mapping Curtis Melvin of 38 North states that he believes their work has been plagiarised by OSM editors in North Korea. Javier Sánchez Portero would like to have a tool to filter out objects that have been […]

09/01/2018-15/01/2018

Ausschnitt aus dem OpenStreetBrowser

An updated version of the OpenStreetBrowser is now online again 1 | © OpenStreetMap Contributors CC-BY-SA 2.0

Mapping

  • Curtis Melvin of 38 North states that he believes their work has been plagiarised by OSM editors in North Korea.
  • Javier Sánchez Portero would like to have a tool to filter out objects that have been added at a certain time, with a certain tag, in a certain area. Overpass API was suggested multiple times, which at least partly meets his expectations.
  • Stefan Nagy starts a discussion on the Talk-AT mailing list about short-term parking zones in Vienna. This then continued on the tagging mailing list.
  • Fernando Trebien asks on the Tagging mailing list for a method for capturing Portuguese pavements, which consists of small stone tiles embedded in a matrix, rather like mosaics.
  • A user reports on reddit that the latest updates to ESRI World Imagery are not as clear as previous versions. There is a thread on a similar theme in the forum.
  • Pieter Vander Vennet explains in his user diary how he maps the different types of cobblestone/sett pavement in Bruges, Belgium.
  • Wille Marcel shares a diary about the latest updates and enhancements to OSMCha.

Community

  • On the talk mailing list, Michael Reichert raises the question to what extent change record discussion comments can be created automatically. He also criticizes the new review feature of OSMCha.
  • Pieter Vander Vennet is the Mapper of the Month January 2018. He got to know about OSM a few years ago, when a fellow student introduced him to OsmAnd. His first edit was a ski slope in Austria, while his current focus is on cycleways. He maps both on-site and at home with a combination of OsmAnd, StreetComplete, JOSM and iD. The full interview is available on the osm.be blog, don’t miss it!
  • Randy Meech, founder & CEO, offers his personal thoughts about the closure of Mapzen, and the philosophy behind its business strategy.
  • Joost Schouppe announces the creation of OSM-Science mailing list, that aims to talk about recent scientific research, develop the OSM research agenda and get feedback and support on your planned OSM surveys. The list is the follow-up to the OSM-science-communication project, initiated by Peter Mooney, Frank Ostermann and Joost himself.

Imports

OpenStreetMap Foundation

  • Pineapple Fund, the foundation of an unknown Bitcoin owner, donated 18 Bitcoin (about 200,000 Euro) to OSMF on January 10, 2018. This is approximately 1.5 times the annual turnover of the OSMF. For more information, see Reddit and the OSM Blog.
  • The OSM Board plans to extend the contract of its administrative assistant, Dorothea, for another year.
  • The next OSMF Board Meeting, the first since the AGM, took place on Thursday 18th January. The agenda and draft minutes from the November meeting are now available.
  • The Engineering Working Group of the OSM Foundation held a meeting on January, 15th, centered on the participation to Google Summer of Code 2018.

Events

  • FOSSGIS Konferenz 2018 in Bonn, Germany. The annual German language conference is always organized by FOSSGIS e.V., the OSM Community and a local team. Date: March 21st – March 24th.
  • Proposals for sessions – that is: talks, lectures and workshops – for the International State of the Map in Milan (28-30 July) received are now invited. The closing date for submissions is 18th February.
  • OpenStreetMap US seeks proposals for the SotM-US conference in 2018 and 2019.

Humanitarian OSM

  • HOT supports five projects of the Turkish community with laptops and smartphones from a “device grant” by Nethope. An example of the community’s activities are provided through the experiences of field mapping by 17-year-old Leila, a refugee from Syria.

Maps

  • [1] Stephan Bösch-Plepelits announces that Openstreetbrowser is back online. He asks for help with creating additional categories of interest.
  • Holiday flats (tourism=apartment) becoming increasingly popular not only in Europe. With more than 14k objects in the database they deserve to be rendered in osm-carto. What’s missing is a convincing icon. Any ideas or contributions are welcome.
  • A research group in Oxford, England have calculated travel times to major cities across the world using Google Earth Engine and OpenStreetMap data. Galleries of maps for various places have been published by The Guardian and Spiegel-online.
    Owen Boswarva notices that this dataset is released under CC-BY 4.0. He asks if this has a special licence waiver. The topic is further discussed on the legal-talk list.

Open Data

  • Budget pressures may force the US Department of Agriculture to charge for use of the National Agricultural Imagery Programme. Mapbox explain on their blog why this is a bad idea.

Programming

  • OSM Operations team prepares the change to “HTTPS-by-default”, and asks all developers to test their OAuth integration against the preview site.
  • Paul Norman asks on the mailing list dev about the size of metatiles.
  • Mapbox would like to persuade former Mapzen customers to become Unity users.

Other “geo” things

  • The Mapbox office in Washington DC will be moving to a new location.

Upcoming Events

Where What When Country
Moscow January Meeting 2018-01-21 russia
Bremen Bremer Mappertreffen 2018-01-22 germany
Nottingham Pub Meetup 2018-01-23 united kingdom
Viersen OSM Stammtisch Viersen 2018-01-23 germany
Urspring Stammtisch Ulmer Alb 2018-01-25 germany
Lübeck Lübecker Mappertreffen 2018-01-25 germany
Essen Mappertreffen 2018-01-28 germany
Dusseldorf Stammtisch 2018-01-31 germany
Dresden Stammtisch Dresden 2018-02-01 germany
Rome FOSS4G-IT 2018 2018-02-19-2018-02-22 italy
Cologne Bonn Airport FOSSGIS 2018 2018-03-21-2018-03-24 germany
Turin MERGE-it 2018-03-23-2018-03-24 italy
Poznań State of the Map Poland 2018 2018-04-13-2018-04-14 poland
Disneyland Paris Marne/Chessy Railway Station FOSS4G-fr 2018 2018-05-15-2018-05-17 france
Bordeaux State of the Map France 2018 2018-06-01-2018-06-03 france
Milan State of the Map 2018 (international conference) 2018-07-28-2018-07-30 italy
Dar es Salaam FOSS4G 2018 2018-08-29-2018-08-31 tanzania
Bengaluru State of the Map Asia 2018 (effective date to confirm) 2018-10-01-2018-10-31 india

Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropriate.

This weeklyOSM was produced by Anne Ghisla, Nakaner, Peda, Polyglot, SK53, SeleneYang, Spec80, derFred, jinalfoflia, sev_osm.


OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

Remote mapping the danger zones around Mayon [Albay, Philippines]

♦ Very active mapping activity around Mayon, in the last several days.

We are grateful for the help extended by very dedicated mappers all around the globe, for helping map the Permanent Danger Zone around Mayon. This has been 100% validated today.

Mt. Mayon is still a looming threat for many towns and small settlements in its vicinity, and we have an o

Very active mapping activity around Mayon, in the last several days.

We are grateful for the help extended by very dedicated mappers all around the globe, for helping map the Permanent Danger Zone around Mayon. This has been 100% validated today.

Mt. Mayon is still a looming threat for many towns and small settlements in its vicinity, and we have an on-going mapping project to map the Extended Danger Zone. And because of the positive response from the community, we're now halfway done, and would welcome extra helping us to make this complete as soon as possible.

Kudos to Maning Sambale for initiating this activity, to make available Free and Open geodata to local governments and humanitarian organizations for their disaster management planning, and response.

Thank you.

Friday, 19. January 2018

OpenStreetMap.de

Wochennotiz Nr. 391

09.01.2018-15.01.2018 Eine aktualisierte Version des OpenStreetBrowsers ist nun wieder online 1 | © OpenStreetMap Mitwirkende CC-BY-SA 2.0 Mapping Curtis Melvin von 38 North meint, dass seine auf Google Maps basierenden Daten in Nordkorea von OSM-Benutzern abgezeichnet wurden. Javier Sánchez Portero … Weiterlesen →

09.01.2018-15.01.2018

Mapping

  • Curtis Melvin von 38 North meint, dass seine auf Google Maps basierenden Daten in Nordkorea von OSM-Benutzern abgezeichnet wurden.
  • Javier Sánchez Portero hätte gerne ein Tool, mit dem man Objekte herausfiltern kann, die zu einer bestimmten Zeit mit einem bestimmten Tag in einem bestimmten Bereich hinzugefügt wurden. Dabei wird ihm mehrfach Overpass API vorgeschlagen, das seinen Erwartungen zumindest teilweise entspricht.
  • Stefan Nagy startet auf der Mailingliste Talk-at eine Diskussion über Kurzzeitparkzonen in Wien, welche dann im weiteren Verlauf auf die Mailingliste Tagging wechselt.
  • Fernando Trebien fragt auf der Mailingliste Tagging nach einer Methode zum richtigen Erfassen von Portugiesischen Pflastern.
  • Es sind weiterhin Pokémon-Go-Mapper aktiv und die Last des Sichtens der Änderungen wird auf mehrere Schultern verteilt, wenn mehrere Leute dabei mithelfen.
  • Sowohl im Reddit als auch im Forum bemerken Nutzer der ESRI-Satellitenaufnahmen, dass die ehemals scharfen Bilder immer mehr durch das für detailliertes Mappen zu ungenaue Bing-Material ersetzt werden.
  • Pieter Vander Vennet erklärt in seinem Benutzer-Blog, wie man seiner Ansicht nach die verschiedenen Typen von Straßenpflaster mappen sollte.
  • Wille Marcel stellt in seinem Benutzer-Blog die neuesten Updates und Verbesserungen an OSMCha vor.

Community

  • Michael Reichert startet auf der Mailingliste Talk eine Diskussion darüber, in welchem Maße Änderungssatzdiskussionskommentare automatisch erstellt werden dürfen, und kritisiert das neue Review-Feature von OSMCha.
  • Pieter Vander Vennet ist Mapper des Monats Januar 2018. Er ist ein junger, engagierter Mapper aus Belgien.
  • Randy Meech, Gründer und CEO von Mapzen, schreibt in einem Blog-Beitrag seine Gedanken zum Aus seines Start-Ups nieder.
  • Es gibt jetzt eine neue OSM-Mailingliste mit dem Namen Science.
  • sn2d möchte eine OSM-Gruppe in Bochum für die dort aktiven Mapper gründen, die im Hackerspace „das labor“ beheimatet sein wird.

Importe

  • Bei der Freigabe von Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkungen auf Bahngleisen scheint es im Vereinigten Königreich voranzugehen. Auf der Mailingliste Imports gibt es auch schon eine Diskussion dazu.

OpenStreetMap Foundation

  • Der Pineapple Fund, die Stiftung eines unbekannten Bitcoin-Besitzers, hat der OSMF am 10. Januar 18 Bitcoin (ca. 200.000 Euro) gespendet. Dies ist ungefähr der 1,5-fache Jahresumsatz der OSMF. Weitere Infos gibt es auf Reddit und im OSM-Blog.
  • Der OSMF-Vorstand plant, den Vertrag mit Dorothea zu verlängern.
  • Am 18. Januar findet die erste Sitzung des neuen OSMF-Vorstands statt. Themen sind neben der Wahl des Vorsitzenden, des Kassenwarts und des Schriftführers auch die Finanzplanung für das Jahr 2018 und die Verunglimpfung des OpenStreetMap-Projekts als rassistisch und frauenfeindlich.
  • Der OSMF-Vorstand hat zwischen seinen Sitzungen die neue Richtlinie zur Verwendung der Marke OpenStreetMap beschlossen. Zudem können informelle OSM-Lokalgruppen, die keinen Local-Chapter-Status haben, Domains für ihre Zwecke über die OSMF registrieren lassen.
  • Auf dem 34. Chaos Communication Congress (wir berichteten) wurden auf dem OpenStreetMap-Assembly mehrere Barspenden getätigt. Zudem gab es eine Spende eines A0-Druckers, der auf künftigen OSM-Veranstaltungen für den Druck großer Karten verwendet werden kann.
  • Die Engineering Working Group der OSMF hat am 15. Januar getagt. Thema war der diesjährige Google Summer of Code.

Veranstaltungen

  • Das Programm und die Anmeldung der FOSSGIS 2018 in Bonn (21. bis zum 24. März) wurde veröffentlicht. Bis zum 6. Februar gibt es noch Eintrittskarten mit Frühbucherrabatt. OSM-Helfer können über das "Community-Ticket" kostenlos teilnehmen. Am 24. März findet eine OpenStreetMap-Unkonferenz (Eintritt kostenlos) statt.
  • Bis zum 18. Februar können Vorträge und Workshops für die internationale State of the Map in Mailand (28.–30. Juli) eingereicht werden.
  • OpenStreetMap US sucht Ausrichter für die SotM-US 2018 und 2019.

Humanitarian OSM

  • HOT unterstützt fünf Projekte der türkischen Community mit Laptops und Smartphones aus einem „device grant“ von Nethope. Erzählt werden die Erfahrungen mit dem Feldmapping der 17-jährigen Leila, Flüchtling aus Syrien.

Karten

  • [1] Die POI-Suchmaschine OpenStreetBrowser ist nun seit einiger Zeit wieder online. Seit der neuesten Version kann man auch weitere Kategorien selbst hinzufügen.
  • Nachdem schon mehr als 14.000 Ferienwohnungen (tourism=apartment) in der Datenbank erfasst sind, fehlt dringend noch ein Icon, damit sie in osm-carto dargestellt werden. Kreative Köpfe können gerne ihre Entwürfe einbringen.
  • In theguardian und Spiegel-online werden Karten britischer Wissenschaftler auf OSM- und Google-Basis gezeigt, die die Reisezeit in die nächste Stadt bzw. Ballungszentrum in verschiedenen Ländern der Welt zeigen.
    Owen Boswarva bemerkt, dass die Daten als CC-BY 4.0 veröffentlicht wurden und fragt, ob es dafür eine Spezialerlaubnis gibt. Die Angelegenheit wird auf der Mailingliste legal-talk weiter diskutiert.

Open-Data

  • Potsdam hat jetzt ein Open-Data-Portal. Die Lizenz ist hausgemacht und mit OSM leider nicht kompatibel.
  • Mapbox berichtet über die amerikanischen NAIP-Daten, die momentan als Open Data vorliegen. Diese Daten könnten ab 2019 in eine geschlossene Lizenz überführt werden. Mapbox bittet dagegen um Hilfe.

Programmierung

  • Das OSM-Operations-Team bereitet die Umstellung auf "HTTPS-by-default" vor, und bittet alle Entwickler ihre oAuth-Anbindungen mit der Preview-Site zu prüfen.
  • Auf der Mailingliste Dev wird über die Größe von Metatiles diskutiert.
  • Mapbox möchte Unity-Nutzer, die bislang Mapzen-Kunden waren, als Mapbox-Kunden gewinnen.

Weitere Themen mit Geo-Bezug

Wochenvorschau

    Wo Was Wann Land
    Bremen Bremer Mappertreffen 2018-01-22 germany
    Viersen OSM Stammtisch Viersen 2018-01-23 germany
    Urspring Stammtisch Ulmer Alb 2018-01-25 germany
    Lübeck Lübecker Mappertreffen 2018-01-25 germany
    Essen Mappertreffen 2018-01-28 germany
    Düsseldorf Stammtisch 2018-01-31 germany
    Dresden Stammtisch Dresden 2018-02-01 germany
    Stuttgart Stuttgarter Stammtisch 2018-02-07 germany
    Berlin 116. Berlin-Brandenburg Stammtisch 2018-02-09 germany
    Bonn FOSSGIS 2018 2018-03-21-2018-03-24 germany
    Paris – Marne-la-Vallée FOSS4G-fr 2018 2018-05-15-2018-05-17 france
    Bordeaux State of the Map France 2018 2018-06-01-2018-06-03 france

    Hinweis:
    Wer seinen Termin hier in der Liste sehen möchte, trage ihn in den Kalender ein. Nur Termine, die dort stehen, werden in die Wochennotiz übernommen. Bitte prüfe die Veranstaltung in unserem öffentlichen Kalendertool und korrigiere bitte die Einträge im Kalender, wenn notwendig.

Diese Wochennotiz wurde erstellt von Nakaner, Peda, Polyglot, SK53, TheFive, Tordanik, bjoern_m, doktorpixel14.

Flattr this!


OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

Kolejna genialna mapa historyczna

Mapa ta obejmująca teren Dolnego Śląska i trochę więcej to połączenie OSM oraz map Googli na którą naniesiono zdjęcia budynków zarówno te współczesne jaki i dawne wraz z opisem ich historii. Są też pozaznaczane na mapie miejsca ważnych obiektów już nieistniejących.

W tym przykładzie wycinek mojego miasta dolny-slask.org.pl/532476,Zielona_Gora,Kosciol_Najswietszego_Zbawiciela.html

Mapa ta obejmująca teren Dolnego Śląska i trochę więcej to połączenie OSM oraz map Googli na którą naniesiono zdjęcia budynków zarówno te współczesne jaki i dawne wraz z opisem ich historii. Są też pozaznaczane na mapie miejsca ważnych obiektów już nieistniejących.

W tym przykładzie wycinek mojego miasta https://dolny-slask.org.pl/532476,Zielona_Gora,Kosciol_Najswietszego_Zbawiciela.html


About another OSMF board meeting

Some time ago i reported here my impression of the first public OSMF board meeting and i kind of feel motivated to make another report on the most recent meeting.

I have attended quite a few of these meetings as a guest in the meanwhile and in most of them there were very few people listening in - rarely more than one or two in addition to myself. Listening to these meetings gives you a

Some time ago i reported here my impression of the first public OSMF board meeting and i kind of feel motivated to make another report on the most recent meeting.

I have attended quite a few of these meetings as a guest in the meanwhile and in most of them there were very few people listening in - rarely more than one or two in addition to myself. Listening to these meetings gives you a bit of insight into how the board ticks, how they communicate and how they make decisions. The last meeting had a quite extraordinary number of visitors and also seemed quite a bit different in several aspects. You can read up the formal minutes of all of the meetings on the OSMF wiki - what i here want to present is my personal impression and commentary on the thing. This is my subjective impression so there are certainly things i understood in a different ways than others and there are likely things i missed because i did not pay attention to them. If you want a neutral record of the meeting look at the minutes or better yet listen in on the meetings yourself.

Let me start by thanking the board for continuing to hold the meetings in public, i think this is of fundamental importance for connecting OSMF politics to the OSM community base. This diary entry is my contribution to this discourse - both by communicating my impression of the meetings to a larger audience than those who were able to be at the meeting and to provide feedback to the board on how their work is perceived.

It was the first meeting after the last board elections so there was the selection of officers - which was ultimately uninteresting because the same people as last time were elected.

Next topic discussed was the membership fee waiver program drafted by the MWG. What amazed me about this is that while there was some discussion among the board members there was no specific mentioning of the discussion that had occured in public on the OSMF mailing list about what is the best and fairest way to actually get more people to become OSMF members. Although a decision can of course be made on the proposal as it exists (which is purely for handling technical payment difficulties) it does not seem very productive to me to approve the MWG draft without giving feedback to the MWG and the community members who are interested in lowering the barriers for people to become an OSMF members on if and how moving in that direction is considered desirable by the board. There were vague statements of individual board members that further work should be done regarding the membership fees but no commitment or acknowledgement of the need to substantially lower the barriers.

I think this might indicate kind of a more general problem. During the last year we have seen - largely through Dorothea's work - a significant improvement of communication of overall OSMF matters to the OSM community but this might hide the fact that there is still a lot of room for improvement of the communication between the OSMF and the OSM community on specific matters. This is something the OSM community can work on (by better articulating their wishes and opinions to the board and WGs, better identifying the right point of time to provide input) but it is also something the OSMF board can and needs to work on. If input from the OSM community on matters of policy of the OSMF is being offered but either not considered or considered but the fact that and how it is is not communicated to the people providing this input that is a serious communication problem.

Next was a discussion about a possible face-to-face meeting of the board. The history of the board face-to-face meetings is an interesting one. When the first more recent dedicated meeting of this kind was planned in 2016 (not sure if there were other similar meetings in the early board history or more or less complete meetings of the board during other events like SotM) the main argument was that the board members getting to know each other in person was very useful and important for a practical working relationship. Last year there was then another dedicated face-to-face meeting although the board composition had not changed (since both Frederik and Kate were re-elected) so this argument was obviously not the primary reason any more.

When the board reported on the last meeting on the OSMF blog i mentioned in a comment:

... But i sincerely hope that with a meeting like this costing quite a bit of both time and money you do evaluate the success of it in terms of measurable results – in other words: Go in with a clear idea what you intend to accomplish and evaluate afterwards if you managed to do so.

which pretty much summarizes my attitude to this subject. If a face-to-face meeting is useful i see no reason not to have one but IMO the board needs to justify and demonstrate to the OSMF members and the OSM community as a whole that it actually is worth the money spent. If you look at the list of "what we want to change" from the 2016 meeting you can get doubts about this.

There were some comments in that direction in the discussion but everything was pretty vague and non-committal overall. What i distinctly noted is that no one even mentioned the fact that there is a SotM conference this summer in Italy and travel costs could be significantly reduced probably by making a meeting there.

Next topic was re-activating the osmf-announce mailing list for official announcements. This was an interesting and useful discussion about the purpose of this announcement mailing list and also the possibilities and the needs to communication to members from parties other than the board - like for example for initiatives from the membership to put forward proposals without going through and potentially even against the will of the board.

Then there was an item "Taking a stand against people publicly bad-mouthing the OSM project, OSM community, or OSMF" put forward by Frederik. This was about the infamous tweet by Dale Kunce which is the most recent and one of the most blatant examples of people badmouthing the OSM community on twitter and other social media channels. Frederik suggested that the OSMF board should make a clear statement to condemn such claims and make clear that the OSMF board stands behind the OSM community against people collectively calling them racists and other things while encouraging everyone to bring any specific cases of racism, misogyny or other discriminating behaviour to the attention of the board.

What followed were reactions mainly from Heather and Mikel who from my point of view very skillfully tried to spin this into yet another call for stricter rules on OSM communication channels, codes of conduct and policing use of these channels. This argument more or less went along the following lines:

  • the OSMF cannot control what is said on Twitter (which was of course not what Frederik was suggesting)
  • there were quite a few unfriendly, inpolite or similar statements on OSMF managed channels recently the Twitter statements should be seen in context with (i can't really help but this seemed oddly similar to Trump's famous "there was violence on both sides")
  • the OSMF should therefore strengthen and enforce rules on what may be said on OSM communication channels (which instead of condemning Dale Kunce's rant would actually kind of support it)

I of course paraphrase here, this is not literally what has been said but if i try to extract the essence of the arguments that have been made this is more or less what i end up with.

Peda was the only board members who spoke in support of Frederik's proposal so in the end no decision from the OSMF board to take a stand on bad-mouthing OSM and the OSM community. You can interpret this as you like. By the way Dale Kunce is president of HOT and works for the American Red Cross - the organization that has made the USD 25k donation to the OSMF last year that was kept 'secret' for more than half a year. Even if you are not into looking for conspiracies from a PR perspective this is really kind of like running at full speed towards a concrete wall. What credibility does a board that cannot even condemn a clearly outrageous statement that sweepingly calls essentially all OSMF members racists have on matters of communication tone in intercultural communication?

After that the meeting had already been running for an hour and several board members indicated they wanted to close it - Peda suggested to vote on the budget for 2018 before doing that.

For the visitors this is kind of a strange situation since the budget at this point is not public so you listen to a discussion about a budget that you cannot look at. The discussion however was mostly about the implications of the recent 200k donation and how this should be taken into account for financial planning. Ultimately the budget was approved as it was drafted by Frederik.

A followup meeting was scheduled for next week to cover the remaining agenda items.

It is still too early to draw conclusion in what direction the new board tends politically - even if there have been a few indications towards that in the way people communicated in the meeting. What i can say in review of all the board meetings i listened to overall is an increasing trend towards conservativism (mostly in the sense of sticking to a certain way of doing things because you are used to it rather than because there are convincing arguments to actually do it this way). This is not astonishing considering all of the current board members have been on the board for quite some time or bring in a certain experience from elsewhere how they are used to things being done they try to continue in this venue.

Also the board - with Ilya leaving - has become significantly less culturally diverse, we now essentially have a US-German-Canadian board. The most exotic voice on the board now seems to be Peda who is the only real hobby mapper with no professional relationship to OSM whose views maybe best represent those of a typical OSM mapper (though with a distinctly German perspective of course). Given that Peda is clearly the board member least fluent in English he also has the least chance to convincingly articulate his views against his rhetorically more skilled colleagues.

Thursday, 18. January 2018

OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

Non-English keywords in English iD interface.

I just noticed an interesting thing. If you want to create a point indicating a garbage dumpster (trash container or whatever similar) using iD with the English language interface, you add a point geometry and then start typing "garbage" in the Search field. Once you've typed "gar", found tagging options will be related to anything "garden" and "garbage&quo

I just noticed an interesting thing. If you want to create a point indicating a garbage dumpster (trash container or whatever similar) using iD with the English language interface, you add a point geometry and then start typing "garbage" in the Search field. Once you've typed "gar", found tagging options will be related to anything "garden" and "garbage", but there will also be a "ॐ Hindu Temple" as a sixth item. If you type one more letter and make it "garb", you'll have everything "garbage", but Hindu Temple will jump to the second place.

I'm not claiming that I know how it works, but I assume that there are keywords tied to an interface language and to every tag or set of tags for a specific object. They seem to be language-dependent (while it is still possible to type something in German, like "wald", and get Wood as an option), otherwise, there would be a lot more confusion with similarly spelled keywords from different languages.

However, I don't see any logic in this specific situation. As Wikipedia says, "Garbhagriha" is a Sanskrit word for a part of a Hindu temple (not even for a temple itself). How often might it be typed in Latin alphabet by iD users? Does it really belong to English interface, keeping in mind that English is not the main language in any of those countries where Hindu religion is prominent enough? It definitely belongs to Hindu and some other languages, but English? By the way, if you try typing "altar" (also a part of a temple in many religions) - nothing related to temples or cathedrals will pop up. Considering this logic, Hindu Temple should not show up on a list after typing "gar" or "garb" in a search form.

Just to be clear: I don't care if it will continue popping up - it looks amusing to me, not just "wrong". I'm not going to dig into iD's complicated structure and register on any translation services to fix that.


EON Homes 2 BHK, 3 BHK Flats in Hinjewadi Phase 3 Pune, By Kasturi Developers & Siroya FM.

EON Homes is an under-construction project located in Hinjewadi Phase 3. Eon Homes are developed in a joint venture by Kasturi Housing and Siroya FM. The project is designed to give you an experience of living in beauty and gaiety which meets your expectation of settling down in Pune. It has aesthetically designed 2 BHK, 2.5 BHK and 3 BHK apartments with wide balconies that are presented at an a

EON Homes is an under-construction project located in Hinjewadi Phase 3. Eon Homes are developed in a joint venture by Kasturi Housing and Siroya FM. The project is designed to give you an experience of living in beauty and gaiety which meets your expectation of settling down in Pune. It has aesthetically designed 2 BHK, 2.5 BHK and 3 BHK apartments with wide balconies that are presented at an affordable cost. Eon Homes is crafted with the architectural brilliance that is a great choice for you and your family. It offers a competitive price list which will not burn a hole in your pockets. Book your 2 BHK, 3 BHK flat at Eon Homes Hinjewadi Phase 3, where life is a festival!

RERA REGISTRATION Building A2: P52100006888

Building A3: P52100013714

Building D3: P52100001860

HIGHLIGHTS 4 high-speed auto elevators including stretcher elevator in zones A and B 3 high-speed elevators in zones C and D Drivers lounge and washroom Ramps for the handicapped people Legal Approval: Pune Municipal Corporation

Total Project Area: 0.63 Acres (60%) Project Details: 3 Towers 400 Units 21 Floors Configurations: Apartment | 2, 2.5 & 3 BHK INSIDE THE HOME Large attached balcony and sit-out space Polished porcelain flooring Aluminium sliding doors and windows Fully furnished modular kitchen with hob, chimney and water purifier Well-designed utility area with provision for washing machine/dishwasher & storage space Air Conditioning in 2 bedrooms by Daikin, Japan. Full height corner windows for superior light, ventilation and views Designer furnished bathrooms with false ceilings Branded sanitary fitting and accessories in the bathroom COMMON AMENITIES Sports Arena: Tennis courts, Basketball court, Cricket pitches, Cycling track The Club : Squash courts, Badminton court, Billiards hall, Table – tennis, Carrom, sports bar with snooker table, Gymnasium and lap pool and Kids pool Rejuvenation Centre: Aerobics/Meditation Room, Steam Entertainment : Amphitheatre, Mini Theatre Utilities: High-speed auto elevators including stretcher elevator 100 % power backup for common amenities Power backup upto 1Kva for Apartments More than 2000 car parks 2 dedicated car wash bays Multilayered manual & electronic security Video camera surveillance for entire complex Video door phone facility Drivers’ lounge and washrooms Sewage treatment plant Rainwater harvesting Ramps for specially abled

Know More: www.harleenrealtors.com Call: +91 7507117864


Ong PPR Vesbo Cao Cap Thanh Trang

Khi thi công một công trình xây dựng, việc thiết kế một hệ thống cấp nước là một việc cực kỳ quan trong. Để đảm bảo hệ thống được vận hành an toàn cùng sự đảm bảo vệ sinh an toàn thực phẩm thì việc lựa chọn một loại ống nước chất lượng phù hợp với tiêu chí công trình là một điều cần thiết.

Với chất lượng đã được khẳng định ở nhiều quốc gia lớn như Đức, Anh, Singapor... Ống cấp nước PPR V

Khi thi công một công trình xây dựng, việc thiết kế một hệ thống cấp nước là một việc cực kỳ quan trong. Để đảm bảo hệ thống được vận hành an toàn cùng sự đảm bảo vệ sinh an toàn thực phẩm thì việc lựa chọn một loại ống nước chất lượng phù hợp với tiêu chí công trình là một điều cần thiết.

Với chất lượng đã được khẳng định ở nhiều quốc gia lớn như Đức, Anh, Singapor... Ống cấp nước PPR Vesbo chính là sự lựa chọn hoàn hảo dành cho hệ thống cấp nước. Doanh Nghiệp Thành Trang với kinh nghiệm hơn 20 năm trong vật tư ngành nước đã tự hào trở thành đơn vị phân phối độc quyền sản phẩm ống PPR và phụ kiện PPR Vesbo trên cả nước Việt Nam.

Hãy cùng tìm hiểu thêm về sản phẩm Ống nước PPR để biết tại sao nó lại được tin dùng như thế nhé! https://vi-vn.facebook.com/OngNuocPPRVesboThanhTrang/

Wednesday, 17. January 2018

OpenStreetMap Blog

Apply for support to join us in Milan for State of the Map 2018

The application form for State of the Map 2018 grants and scholarships is now open. OpenStreetMap is a world map of many people and places. And we want you all there for our upcoming State of the Map conference in Milan. Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, we can provide financial support to help […]

The application form for State of the Map 2018 grants and scholarships is now open.

OpenStreetMap is a world map of many people and places. And we want you all there for our upcoming State of the Map conference in Milan. Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, we can provide financial support to help you to join in the fun.

Apply now for support to join us in Milan for State of the Map 2018!
Deadline: Wednesday 14th February 2018.

Each year we receive more scholarship applications than we are able to support. To help us best allocate the funds, we have different levels of scholarship – you can now pick from Grants for speakers, or Full or Enhanced scholarships.

Here are some tips to help you complete your application. You can also check out Gregory’s post on how we selected scholars from previous year’s applicants.

  • Select the minimum level of scholarship you need to attend. This will help us to make the best use of limited funds.
  • Answer the question “How will attending State of the Map benefit you and OpenStreetMap” in 1500 characters maximum. Keep sentences short. Focus on the benefits to you and to OpenStreetMap.
  • We want to hear about your contributions to OpenStreetMap, your project or your group. We do not want an account of a group’s work but your individual part in it. Try to use “I” not “we“.
  • You may include links to your OpenStreetMap profile, a local group you run, or software you created. If your written answer is satisfactory to get in our shortlist – we might take a look at these additional details.
  • What topics or views will you bring to State of the Map that are otherwise missing?
  • What do you plan to do when you return return home after State of the Map?

Whilst you are here don’t forget that you can also read the experiences that our scholars gained from being able to attend State of the Map 2017.

Apply now!


Mappa Mercia

Petrol stations with a fixme tag

As we described when we kicked off this quarters UK project to map petrol stations, recent community validation of third party (import) data has highlighted much outdated and erroneous data within OpenStreetMap :-(. For the Shell import we captured some … Continued

As we described when we kicked off this quarters UK project to map petrol stations, recent community validation of third party (import) data has highlighted much outdated and erroneous data within OpenStreetMap :-(. For the Shell import we captured some of this and added it to a “fixme” tag. If you have not yet come across this tag then it is one in which OpenStreetMap users can flag something that looks wrong or requires additional information to improve the map.

It is possible to view petrol stations with a fixme tag by using Overpass Turbo scripts. We have done this already so all you have to do is click this link and press run. Results are visual as shown in the example below. There are approximately 130 petrol stations with a fixme tag so with some effort we should be able to review them all. Happy mapping!

Example result from Overpass Turbo.


OpenStreetMap User's Diaries

.

.

.


Mayon's core dange zone mapping is 100% complete - thank you!

♦ Mt. Mayon ash plume. Photo credits: unknown.

Mayon, the Philippines most active volcano, with 48 historical eruptions is restive. Over the weekend, tremors, lava fountaining, and lava collapse events has been noted. Government volcanologists report that “relatively high level of unrest as magma is at the crater and hazardous eruption is possible within week

Mt. Mayon ash plume. Photo credits: unknown.

Mayon, the Philippines most active volcano, with 48 historical eruptions is restive. Over the weekend, tremors, lava fountaining, and lava collapse events has been noted. Government volcanologists report that “relatively high level of unrest as magma is at the crater and hazardous eruption is possible within weeks or even days.

The authorities has prohibited the public from entering the 6 kilometer-radius Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ), and the 7-km Extended Danger Zone (EDZ) on the southern flanks “due to the danger of rockfalls, landslides and sudden explosions or dome collapse that may generate hazardous volcanic flows.”

Yesterday morning, we appealed for help to map the 6-kilometer Permanent Danger Zone of Mayon, and the community responded quickly. Today, it's been 100% mapped, 57% validated (and still on-going). Thank you! The names of the generous mappers may be found in the project dashboard.

Mayon Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ): 100% mapped. 57% validated.

Today, a new project to map the 7-kilometer Extended Danger Zone (EDZ) around Mayon has been published: https://tasks.hotosm.org/project/4037 and we are again appealing for some of your precious time, and valued mapping skills, to map the EDZ. Most especially the priority tasks in the southern quadrant, where there are a number of villages and settlements.

https://tasks.hotosm.org/project/4037

Again, this is preemptive mapping activity to assist local government agencies and aid organizations to support future damage assessment. We call on the digital humanitarian community for their assistance for this project.


Motorway Junction Node Placement

It isn't always obvious where to position a highway=motorway_junction node that connects a motorway way to a motorway_link way (also known as an off-ramp or slip road). Over the years, mappers have used three different approaches.

Inconsistent placement of junction nodes can affect turn-by-turn navigation software, particularly instruction timing and rerouting. I'd like to raise

It isn't always obvious where to position a highway=motorway_junction node that connects a motorway way to a motorway_link way (also known as an off-ramp or slip road). Over the years, mappers have used three different approaches.

Inconsistent placement of junction nodes can affect turn-by-turn navigation software, particularly instruction timing and rerouting. I'd like to raise awareness about the preferred placement, which is at the beginning of the gore, and explain why the other two approaches are suboptimal.

Throughout this post, I will refer to the term gore. A gore is a wedge that separates a ramp from the main motorway. A physical gore may be a barrier or a grassy area, whereas a theoretical gore simulates this separation using pavement markings and empty space. By “gore”, I am referring to the beginning of the theoretical gore, if present, or alternatively the physical gore.

Approach 1: Map the ramp node at the exit sign

Rationale: In the majority of urban areas a detailed overhead exit sign is located at the last point where the off ramp maneuver can take place - the physical or theoretical gore.

Drawbacks:

  • Many rural exits (and some urban exits, depending on the state) lack overhead signage. Instead, the only sign is located on the side of the road (at the beginning of the deceleration lane or even earlier), accompanied by a small “Exit” sign at the gore.
  • In many cases, the exit sign occurs well after a lane change restriction (change:lanes) begins (example - note the solid white line). However, lane issues should be remedied through tagging, not geometry alterations.

Example. In this case the exit sign and the theoretical gore are located at the same location. This is the last location where driver can exit the motorway. When the sign board is right next to the gore this approach makes sense.

Example. The exit sign does not coincide with the theoretical gore in this case. The exit sign is positioned much earlier than the gore. In this case mapping the exit from the sign position will not make sense.

Approach 2: Map the ramp node where the road begins to widen

Historically, some mappers have preferred to start the ramp at the point the road widens, mainly for aesthetic purposes.

Rationale: This appears smoother on a map rendering as it more accurately represents the path a driver should take to use the ramp.

Drawbacks:

  • If a driver has passed the point where the road begins to widen but has yet to reach the gore (or the start of chevron markings), it’s too early to reroute the user as if they missed the exit.
  • The exit may have a longer deceleration lane. If the junction node is placed at the beginning of the deceleration lane, the user’s distance to the junction node may differ from signage, creating confusion.
  • Does not accurately reflect the features on the ground.

Example (same junction as Approach 1 example):

Approach 3: Map the ramp node at the gore of the main road and ramp

This is the approach documented on the wiki. It balances the needs of renderers and routers.

Rationale:

  • Allows for precise lane mapping, as the junction node reflects reality.
  • Staggered exit lanes should be modeled using turn:lanes tags instead of separate ways.
  • The junction node reflects the exact point where it is no longer possible to cross back onto the highway, consistent with the practice of mapping a dual carriageway only when there’s a definite separation.

Drawbacks:

  • On rendered maps, the turn angle looks sharper than expected when zoomed way in.
  • Less sophisticated routers may consider the actual turn angle to be much sharper than in reality.
  • In some cases, the gore begins well after a lane change restriction (change:lanes) begins (example - note the solid white line). However, it’s better to add the lane change restriction as a change:lanes tag than to draw the entire exit lane as a separate way.

In approach 2 the ramp node is placed where the road begins to widen. In the same example, if approach 3 is used the ramp would appear like this:

Example: The junction node near the gore where it not possible to change lanes back to the highway.

Although this approach tries to place the junction node close to the gore, it isn’t necessary to make it exactly flush with the gore. The motorway_link would meet the motorway at a 90° angle, which would result in unintuitive rendering. A roughly 45° angle strikes a better balance between the needs of renderers and routers.

Conclusion

Based on this evaluation, we believe the best practice for mapping ramps is (Approach 3) map the ramp node at the gore of the main road and ramp. This follows the wider OSM convention of prioritizing mapping based on the physical barriers, is appropriate for diverse geographies, and aligns with developing work around lane guidance.

As next actions, from now on, the team at Mapbox will fix these ramp geometries by following the convention stated in approach 3 when we come across ramps mapped according to other approaches. It would be great to have everyone follow this approach as well when mapping ramps and make changes to existing ramp intersections that you come across. If there is consensus around this approach let’s update the wiki with further details to promote this practice.